This post may include affiliate links. Read our disclaimer for full details.
Easy Rice Krispie Valentine Hearts
Are you ready to make your kid’s Valentine’s Day epic with a little sugar and a heart-shaped cookie cutter or muffin mold? Make these simple – no way to mess them up – rice krispie hearts for an easy Valentine’s Day treat. All you need to do is give the classic rice krispie treats recipe a simple twist and voila, day made!
Quick question…Do you stalk Pinterest (like me) and have grand ideas of baking that 7-layer red velvet cake or making the perfect chocolate souffles for your family? Today I’m giving you a pass and telling you to shut Pinterest down and go grab the marshmallows and rice krispies. As long as it has sugar in it you’re kids don’t care what kind of dessert it is – I know from experience! Bonus – your kids will love you for taking a few minutes out of your day to share some sweet treats with them. And to them, it IS a homemade, 7-layer red velvet cake, right?
Two cups of rice krispie cereal, a bag of mini marshmallows and several tablespoons of butter are all you need for these fun treats! You really can’t mess these up so don’t worry about exact measurements. It’s less about the “recipe” and more about the inspiration!
These simple heart rice krispie treats are fun for kids and adults alike. Store them in an airtight container and take them with you to a Valentine’s Day party or for a class treat at school.
**If you’re using a cookie cutter, press the cereal mixture onto parchment paper or wax paper on your countertop to cut out the heart-shaped rice krispie treats.
**You can simply spray the muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray, but I found coating the pan really well with softened butter works best. Use a greased spatula and also rub some of the butter on your fingers when you’re working with the rice krispie treats too and that will help with sticking as you’re putting them in the mold. And a little extra butter never hurt anyone!
There are so many fun ways to top these delicious treats that will make them even more fun and festive.
- Melt white chocolate chips and drizzle over one side of the hearts. Add a few drops of pink food coloring for a more festive look.
- Use pink marshmallows instead of white marshmallows.
- If you have a small heart cookie cutter you can make little hearts and insert popsicle sticks to make cake pops.
- Top with valentine sprinkles.
- Pour melted chocolate over them to make chocolate rice krispie treats.
- Keep it simple like I did and just add some sparkly heart toothpicks!
- Serve with milk or hot chocolate and a little bit of love!
This simple treat made an ordinary day extraordinary.
Easy Rice Krispie Valentine Hearts
- large sauce pan
- baking dish or muffin pan
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 pkg (10 oz.) mini marshmallows
- 4 tbsp butter (3 tbsp for melting, 1 tbsp for greasing)
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish or heart-shaped muffin molds.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan on low.
- Remove butter from heat, stir in cereal until well coated.
- Butter a spatula and press the mixture into the dish or onto parchment paper.
- Cut out hearts with cookie cutter.
- If using a muffin mold, put some softened butter on your fingers and press mixture into the individual muffin molds to shape.
- Serve plain or choose some festive toppings. Enjoy with your kiddos!
These simple heart rice krispie treats are a fun way to celebrate! Store them in an airtight container and take them with you to a Valentine’s Day party or for a class treat at school.
I’m dying to try this easy recipe with other types of cereals. What other cereal treats have you made? I love this recipe because it is an easy twist on a classic recipe with simple ingredients. It’s also the perfect way to surprise your kiddo at school for Valentine’s Day. Just pop a few surprise Valentine’s rice krispie treats in their lunchbox. I loved this time of year when my son was young, and this is a fun way to celebrate with the littles in your life.
We hope you enjoy these Easy Rice Krispie Valentine Hearts! If you give them a try leave us a comment below. For a healthier treat for the adults, check out our Valentine Hearts energy bars!